Statement of Intent
Our purpose is to provide a broad, relevant and challenging political education, aiming to:
- help develop an informed understanding of contemporary political structures within the United Kingdom (UK) and the USA.
- develop a critical awareness of the changing nature of politics and the relationships between political ideas, institutions and processes.
- develop an understanding and awareness of political ideas and their development through history.
- develop knowledge and an informed understanding of the influences and interests which have an impact on decisions in government and politics.
- develop knowledge and an informed understanding of the rights and responsibilities of individuals and groups.
- develop the ability to critically analyse, interpret and evaluate political information to form arguments and make judgements .
- develop an interest in, and engagement with, contemporary politics.
Based on the principles listed above we assess students to help them:
- AO1: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of political institutions, processes, concepts, theories and issues.
- AO2: Analyse aspects of politics and political information, including in relation to parallels, connections, similarities and differences.
- AO3: Evaluate aspects of politics and political information, including to construct arguments, make substantiated judgements and draw conclusions.